CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 8, 2008

The one about Collin and his Papa...

So I won't forget... I want to record, here in my blog, a memory of my dad that Collin shared with me earlier while we were eating dinner.

I don't know what made Collin think of this particular moment with my dad/his papa:


Mommy, do you remember that time I spent the night over Mamaw's and Papa's house, when Papa was too sick to go outside because of the weather so we put up my tent in the living room?

Sort-of...

Papa had his catheter and everything (my dad was very ill with prostrate cancer), but he got on the floor and slept with me in the tent on the hard floor.

He did?

Yep. And you know what he told me?

No, son. What did he tell you?

He told me not to tell Mamaw, but he was the one with the advantage that night, not Mamaw (for having the bed to herself - Dad always had a hard time sleeping/staying still). He said that he hadn't had good rest in a long time... and he would now because he was sleeping with me.

Son, our Papa was one of the sweetest men this world has ever, or will ever, see! You know that?

Yep. I do. That is why so many people miss him.

Yes, my dear boy... yes, it is.





Dad, my heart aches just picturing you so selflessly laying on that hard floor next to the apple of your eye... for what would undoubtedly be a sleepless night for you! I realize now, more than ever, that you taught me some of life's most valuable lessons without speaking one word. You are teaching me still. I... we miss you so much.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet.