CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 8, 2008

The one about friends, food and fireworks

What a wonderful Saturday! I have found that I stay home a lot more on my day off than I used to. There is something to be said for the comfort of home, and not just after a long day at work. I found myself thanking God this morning for the simple things of home - my bed, our sofa, house plants, central AC... that works (we had to have the unit serviced this week). Also, where Collin and I used to kind-of do our own things on Saturday mornings on separate floors of the house, we now watch some of his favorite Saturday morning shows together. It's simple, but it gives us a chance to laugh, relax and bond before we shed our pjs for the day.

I usually get more done around the house, but not today. I only dusted and washed clothes. Collin has now taken on the extra chore of vacumming at his request. It's funny... you'd think I would readily give it up, but things like this are hard for me. Those who know me will nod in agreement. So, please pray for me. LOL. God has blessed me with such an extraordinary son. Collin has adopted my dad's desire to serve, and I couldn't be more grateful!


We were invited over to the Ellis' home, and had a great time, as usual. Melanie is such an excellent hostess! She always feeds you yummy food, and you always feel at
home. I am torn between feeling sad and feeling happy that there wasn't any chicken dip! It is my absolute favorite... but whenever they have it I end up feeling a little yucky from eating too much. I am sure it could subsitute for a good friend. It is that good!

We played the Bible edition of Outburst. Collin, Mel and I were on one team. Pastor and Beth paired up against us. No matter that Pastor is the pastor; we left him and Beth in the dust!!! LOL. Not really, though we did win. Then, Collin and Beth played Pick-Up-Sticks. It was fun!

After supper and gametime, all of us walked to the waterfront to watch the Harborfest fireworks. Harborfest is one of many maritime celebrations in Hampton Roads. There is always a Parade of Sail featuring many beautiful vessels and delicious food. However, if, like us, you don't enjoy being up close and personal with the things of this world (e.g., half-dressed women, loud secular music, and alcoholic beverages), it's better to watch the highlights on the news. Of course, this doesn't mean we can't bring some beach chairs and enjoy the fireworks on the other side of the water with friends!

Boy, it was a scorcher today... over 100 degrees. This evening wasn't much cooler, as each of us were drenched it sweat upon return to the Ellis home. All of us got a few good chuckles out of Collin's insistence on carrying all 5 chairs himself when we started out... all the while assuring us that he was more than capable of handling it! Well, as you can see from this picture, Collin was three chairs lighter on the walk back! Lesson learned, you think? Quite so.

Here are some fireworks pics that Collin and I took.
Beth took some great pics, also! Hopefully, she'll post 'em.








Thanks to Pastor, Mel (that's her smiling face below) and Beth for having us over! We missed the rest of you... you know who you are. :) Oh well, maybe next time... on July 4th?!



2 comments:

Timber said...

We Ellises thank you for the guest cameo on your blog! We had a good time, too, last night - funny, I considered making that chicken spread, but I guess God nixed that idea for your sake!

Anonymous said...

LOL--I, also, thought about chicken spread.. but alas! my laziness won and I decided I didn't even want to mention it to Mom... It just HURTS to make it, lol. :D Glad you were able to come... and not glad that you won... but I guess I can get over that. ;) I'll put some of my pictures online soon, but IDK exactly when.. I'm still recovering from last night!! lol :D