CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The one about catching up (1)

Hello everyone, it has been more than a week since my last blog. It seems most of us these days can hardly find the time to get the recommended eight hours of sleep... much less spend an hour or two in front of a blog trying to craft an entry that will make readers laugh, cry or both. LOL. Oh, and BTW, if you are able to find that kind of time the likelihood is there is something you should be doing instead, but are not (don't get mad at me... I tell it like I "sees" it).

Anyway, as I was contemplating what to write about, and how I could wrap the last week's events into one nice little blog, a song came to mind. One Desire by Hillsong (see my Video Bar). I have had the privilege of singing this song a couple of times at church with Nancy - I love it. I guess when the busyness of the last eight, or so, days came flooding back to me... this song, lodged in my memory, returned to focus my attention on what's most important. Here are the simple, yet stirring lyrics:

One Desire
You gave it all for me
My soul desire, my everything
And all I am is devoted to You

How could I fail to see
You are the love that rescued me
And all I am is devoted to You

And oh, how could I not be moved
Lord here with You
So have Your way in me
‘Cause Lord, there is just one thing
That I will seek

This is my cry
My one desire
Is to be where You are, Lord
Now and forever
Its more than a song
My one desire
Is to be with You
Is to be with You, Jesus

And oh, how could I not be moved? That is a good question, is it not? Life has been crazy, schedules' are packed, time is flying, and the whole while God is working. For His children. If we are paying attention. It is so easy to NOT pay attention. Many things (often everything) crowd in and causes us to miss the Desire of our hearts. Thankfully, the last week, God has not allowed me to be unaware. I say this to no glory of my own. God has kept my attention... and it has been good.

For instance, Collin and I had our little cousin Danielle over all weekend. She is 2.5 years younger than Collin. They see each other about once every 2 months. For some reason, though Danielle has many other cousins, and a maternal grandma that spoils her to ruin, she favors Collin. They get along so well (like, hard-to-believe, well). This weekend, during a long car ride, they were coloring in the back seat. Mischievously, Danielle reached over and marked Collin's paper right as he was finishing a beautiful rendition of our neighbor's (Cyndi) cat, Callie. Collin was so heartbroken that he did something he rarely does; he responded in kind. Normally, Collin would get swift discipline, but realizing he hasn't had many opportunities to handle situations like this, I waited. I am glad I did.


A bit of bickering ensued, which I tamped, reminding the kids that they've never treated each other like this. There was only quiet for 15 minutes, and they kept their heads bowed. Stopping at the next exit, a sheet of notebook paper on their seat caught my eye. There I saw proof of God's work in Collin's heart! There was scribble between the two of them, but the final words were Collin's. He wrote... What I am trying to say is I love you... and I am sorry.

Even now, tears of awe fill my eyes. How could God love me enough to give me this child? Why would He bless me by working in my son's heart despite my innumerable failures as his mother? The answer is... love. I don't fully understand His love for me, but I understand that it has transformed me. Also, I understand that it is already transforming Collin, preparing him for the day that God knocks on the door of his heart to offer him the gift of salvation.

Some readers may think my excitement over this event is over the top. Unreasonable. Unnecessary. However, as a saved parent, these things are like banners that grab my attention. It is like God is proclaiming, "I am at work." I am so thankful for these times. My prayer is that one day Collin will echo these words: You are the love that rescued me. And all I am is devoted to You.
Of course, there were several other things God did during the last week. Here are a few:

We've been praying for a new home to rent for the influx of clients.
God answered.

We have been praying for Nancy & Paul to safely return home.
God answered.

I'd been praying that God would give my friend, Roxanna, the job she desired, by Monday.
God answered.

I've been praying for God to put homeowners, instead of renters, into the empty houses on our block.
God answered for two houses, and I'm still praying for the third one.

God is so good. I have learned that if we don't look for where God is at work, we'll miss it altogether. If He is truly my One Desire, I should have no trouble focusing on Him.

4 comments:

Timber said...

Your post so beautifully glorifies God.

Anonymous said...

That was a totally awesome post.

I love that song.. it's one of those ones that always speaks, every time I listen to it.

God is really doing some stuff in Collin; how exciting :)

Loved reading your entry.

Anonymous said...

P.S. You and Nancy sing it better :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. You and Nancy sing it better :)